- 15 June 2021
SYNTHETIC REPORT OF THE PLENARY SESSION OF JUNE 15, 2021 RELATING TO THE ANALYSIS AND ADOPTION OF THE PROGRAMME OF ACTIVITIES FOR THE PERIOD FROM JUNE 14 TO JULY 1, 2021
On the fifteenth day of May 2021, senators met in the hemicycle of the Senate for the 45th plenary session of the sixth legislature to analyze and adopt the programme of the period running from June 14 to July 1, 2021.
The work of that session was chaired by the Right Honourable Speaker of the Senate, Mr. Emmanuel SINZOHAGERA. That session, which attended by 30 senators, began, as usual, with a prayer at 11:10 am.
At the opening of the session, the Speaker of the Senate presented to senators the draft programme of June 14 to July 1, 2021 as decided by the meeting of the Extended Bureau. It was worded as follows:
- Monday, June 14, 2021, there was work in committees for the whole day;
- Tuesday, June 15, 2021 from 9 a.m., there was first a meeting of the Bureau, then that of the extended Bureau at 10 a.m., and finally a plenary session relating to the analysis and adoption of the program of activities for the period from June 14 to July 1, 2021 from 11 a.m. as well as work in committees in the afternoon;
- Wednesday ,June 16, 2021, from 9 a.m., a plenary session is scheduled for the analysis and adoption of the following bills: Bill on the ratification by the Republic of Burundi of the financing agreement of the project to support the sustainable development of agricultural and livestock value chains in Burundi (PADCAE-B) between the Republic of Burundi and the African Development Bank (AfDB) and the Bill on the ratification by the Republic of Burundi of loan agreement No. 13606P between the Republic of Burundi and the OPEC Fund for International Development (OFID) relating to the project to intensify agricultural production and reduce vulnerability in Burundi (PIPARV-B) signed in Vienna on February 01, 2021.
For the same day, an explanatory session is scheduled at 11 a.m. by officials from the Housing Bank of Burundi (former FPHH). That session was intended for senators and the staff of the Senate. The explanation was about the management of old and new customers, as well as new products to be offered by that bank. It was to be followed by work in committees;
- Thursday, June 17, 2021, for the whole day, senators will work in their respective committees;
- Friday, June 18, 2021, works in committee is organized in the morning as well as sports activities in the afternoon from 3 p.m.
- Monday, June 21, 2021 is devoted to a meeting of the members of the Senate Bureau with the members of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of Burundi and the members of the National Council of Churches of Burundi (CNEB) in Gitega. This activity will be followed by works in committees;
- Tuesday and Wednesday, June 22 and 23, 2021, honorable senators will take charge of committee work for both days;
The whole day of Thursday, June24, 2021 will be devoted to a plenary session relating to an oral question with debate addressed to the Minister of Justice;
- Friday, June 25, 2021 for the whole day, senators will participate in the fifth conference of testimony and reflection on the 1972 events in Burundi;
- Monday, June 28, 2021, for the whole day Senators will work in committee;
- Tuesday ,June 29, 2021, an oral question with debate addressed to the Minister of Commerce from 9.00 am is scheduled;
- Wednesday, June 30, 2021, closing ceremonies of the ordinary parliamentary session of April 2021 are organized;
- Thursday, July 1, 2021 there will be ceremonies marking the 59th anniversary of Burundi’s Independence in BUJUMBURA. That three-week draft program was adopted unanimously by the Honourable senators.
On the fringes of the priority item on the agenda, the Right Honourable Speaker of the Senate ended that plenary session of June 15, 2021, with a few communications. Those are the following:
- The situation in relation to the vehicles of the senators;
- Discussions on the topic relating to the search for plots for the Senators.
It was on those communications that the session, which took place in an atmosphere of understanding and perfect harmony, ended at 11.50 am.